We love to cook on the grill during the spring. It keeps the house cooler because we aren’t heating the oven and it’s nice to sit on the patio for a pre-dinner cocktail. In my search for new and different recipes for the grill, I stumbled upon Giada De Laurentiis’ recipe for grilled portobello mushrooms. It’s super easy and delicious! Here’s the recipe, cut in half for two servings:
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed & finned
salt & pepper
1 clove minced garlic
2 small tomatoes, chopped into small cubes
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, in small cubes
1/8 chopped fresh basil
(1) Heat grill to medium-high heat. Brush olive oil on grill to prevent sticking.
(2) Brush 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
(3) Whisk 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and garlic in a medium bowl to blend. Add chopped tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Toss to coat and season to taste with salt & pepper.
(4) Grill mushrooms, bottom (open) side down, for approximately 5 minutes.
(5) Flip mushrooms and spoon tomato mixture into the open mushroom caps. Grill for approximately 5 minutes, until mozzarella is melted and mushrooms are tender.